Friday 16 May 2014

Food Republic

Food Republic on Leeds Road, Bradford, is a bit of an enigma.  Nestled as it is in the epicenter of one of Bradford's curry hot spots, it trades blows closely with Akbars and Zouk to name but two.


Although driven past on numerous occasions, I'd never ventured in for fodder!  Peering through the window had given me the impression (from a muraled rear wall, visible from the car) that Food Republic concentrated more on coffee, paninis, pastries, etc, rather than curry.

However, on this occasion, a sign in the window promised Karahi with Naan or Rotis.  Time to give it a whirl.  Once sat at my table and reading the menu, it became obvious my initial ideas of what Food Republic was all about were a little off the mark.  Here is one of the new fangled cafe bar type eateries.  Although not wall to wall curries (the menu had four I believe and some biryanis), a massive Asian inspired grill menu was the main attraction.  The easy to follow menu utilised colour coding to simplify the ordering process.  You selected your grill of choice which had three prices adjacent in different colours - each colour represented either naan, rice, chips, etc.  Pretty simple really.  However, I've not fully embraced the 'grill' yet, so Meat Karahi it was.


The menu said all the food was freshly prepared and with the trendy decor etc, I was looking forward.  I was not offered any heat options when ordering, but a little later I did overhear the waiter ask the question to a near by table.  An easily done oversight, and I'm by no means criticizing, but merely pointing out, your curry of choice can be tailored to your personal preferences if required.

The Meat Karahi arrived in good time and suggested some care had been taking in its preparation.  It was light in colour, with a looseness good for dunking.  A full, quality, rounded flavour was accented with strong gingery overtones and a fair slap of heat.  It was quality and I enjoyed it very much.

Two massive fresh and tasty rotis were included but were no measure of my massive belly.  Sauces were also provided on the side, along with water.  All top quality service.

Again, Food Republic is yet another high quality Bradford eater, and is well worthy of a visit.  Bradford is the Best in the World!!

No comments:

Post a Comment